Resource Guide to Painting
Painting is traditionally defined as a form of art in which colored mediums are applied to a surface with the intention of creating a visually appealing final product. As with other forms of art, painting is generally considered to have been around for quite a while - in fact, some evidence suggests that humans living as long as 30,000 years ago may have participated in the pastime. Early painters typically rendered paintings that discussed fights, changes in weather, or travels over a specific period of time. As paintings - and the individuals who produced them - began to evolve, they focused more on religious and civic events. For example, artists often produced paintings that represented images of gods or deities, or which portrayed the works of local leaders. Over time, a variety of different styles of paintings began to evolve. Some of the most well-known of all of these types of paintings include those that were done in the impressionist, surreal, romantic, and symbolic styles.
These different styles of paintings were used to reflect the personal beliefs, values, or circumstances of the individual who completed the art. While there may be small similarities between some of these styles, in general, they are quite individual and unique. Today, artistic paintings continue to be embraced by individuals living in all parts of the world. While most historic or exceptionally valuable paintings are kept in public museums, others are available for purchase by private buyers. Individuals who have a deep passion for painting often take up the activity themselves. People who are interested in learning how to paint may want to consult with an expert in the field to obtain additional guidance and recommendations. Professional artists or art instructors can serve as valuable resources when learning more about painting.
History of Painting
- The History of Painting - Information on the origins of paint, why, when, and how it was discovered, developed, and used to create art.
- Tour: German Painting and Sculpture in the Late 1400s and 1500s - Images of paintings and sculptures done in the late 1400s and early 1500s, describes trends in art during this time period.
- Painting Techniques - Describes the earliest painting techniques done by prehistoric men and women, provides images to some of these drawings and paintings.
- Before and After - Images and brief biography of Vincent Van Gogh, one of the most famous artists of the 19th century.
- Memory and Markets: Pueblo Painting in the Early 20th Century - Information related to early Native American art, some images of the work.
- Painting - Provides a timeline of the events and topics covered in paintings completed in very early times, provides images of some of the paintings done during these periods.
- Painting History - Images of and information about one of the most famous paintings in history.
Painting for Beginners
- Beginners Guide: Watercolor Painting Supplies - Discusses and identifies the different materials that will be needed by individuals who are interested in learning more about watercolor painting.
- Canvas Painting 101 - Introductory guide that explains the basics of canvas painting, provides recommendations on techniques and tools that will be needed.
- Watercolor Tips for Beginners - Tips and suggestions to achieve success when it comes to watercolor painting.
- Notes on Acrylic Paintings - Suggestions to achieve success when it comes to painting with acrylic products.
- Techniques for Painting Trees: Watercolor Demo - Information for individuals who are interested in learning more about how to achieve success when it comes to creating trees during watercolor painting.
- Acrylic Painting - Brief introduction to acrylic painting, definitions of the materials used and their specific purposes.
Painting for Kids
- Painting Projects - Outlines painting projects that can be enjoyed by children, identifies tools and products that will be needed to ensure success.
- Teaching Kids to Paint - Suggestions for teachers and parents who are interested in learning how to teach children to paint.
- Painting with Young Children: There’s More to the Picture - Discusses how painting can be an effective way for children to increase their education and knowledge levels.
- Painting Crafts for Kids - Different projects that can be used to increase an interest in and love for painting with children.
- Ice Cube Painting - Identifies unique ways in which everyday products can be used to enhance the love of art in young children.
- Don’t Just Read with Your Kids…Draw and Paint with them Too - Discusses why painting with children can be just as important as reading when it comes to developing cognitive ability.
- Kids Painting Ideas - Ideas and suggestions to achieving success when it comes to painting with young children new to the activity.
About the Author:
Clare Tames is a self-employed freelance graphic designer, formidable cook, and avid reader. She written on contemporary and classical art in various print publications, and is just now beginning a writing career online. She works out of her home office in California, where her two children attend high school. Expect more from her at ArtsHeaven.com and around the web, and, if you like, drop her a line at her Google+ page!
Top 20 Artists
- Vincent Van Gogh
- Claude Monet
- Gustav Klimt
- Leonardo Da Vinci
- Pierre-Auguste Renoir
- Jan Vermeer
- Rembrandt Van Rijn
- Wassily Kandinsky
- Edgar Degas
- Francisco De Goya
- William A. Bouguereau
- Camille Pissarro
- Albert Bierstadt
- Paul Gauguin
- Diego Velazquez
- Edouard Manet
- Jacques-Louis David
- J. M. W. Turner
- Paul Cezanne
- Jean-Leon Gerome
- Browse All Artist A to Z ...
Top 10 Museums
- Academic Art
- American Landscape
- Classicism - Classical
- Dutch Baroque
- High Renaissance
- Marine Art - Maritime
- Modern Art
- Portrait Painter
- Post Impressionism
- Browse All Styles ...