Painting Masters: Great Artists in History
Art has been around for centuries and have taken many different shapes and forms. Art is used to describe activities such a sculpting, theatre, dance, photography and many other forms. One of the most expressive types of art is through painting. Through their work, artists are able to express themselves and their feelings through paint on a canvas.
Over the years we have enjoyed the works of many different artists. Here are some of the most famous artists of all time along with links to learn more about each of them.
Vincent Van Gogh– Van Gogh was a Dutch painter born in 1890 and is generally regarded as one of the greatest painters of all time. During his life he created in excess of 2,000 pieces of art, however, his fame did not grow until after his death in 1890. Some of Van Gogh's most memorable works include “Sunflowers” and “Starry Night”.
- Van Gogh Biography – Useful information on the life of the Dutch painter as well as information on his artwork.
- Works of Van Gogh – Listing and information on the various works of Vincent Van Gogh.
- Biography and Timeline – Informative resource with listing of major events in the life and career of the painter.
- Vincent Van Gogh Biography – Helpful website with information on the career of the famed Dutch artist.
Pierre-Auguste Renoir– Born in 1841, Renoir is one of the most well-known French painters. Renoir was a prolific artist with over two thousand works of art to his credit, with most being portraits. Some of the more famous works are “Luncheon of the Boating People” and “Dance at the Moulin de la Galette”.
- The Art of Renoir – List of information on the art that was created by the French painter.
- Complete Works of Renoir – Thorough website displaying images of the various works of art of Renoir.
- Renoir Biography – Brief biographical look at the life and works of Pierre-Auguste Renoir.
Paul Gauguin– A famed French artist born in 1848, Gauguin produced many works of art during his lifetime. However, his true genius was not appreciated until after his death in 1903. Among Gauguin’s most popular works are “La Belle Angele” and “The Yellow Christ”.
- Gauguin Information – Helpful information on the career and the artworks of the artist.
- Gauguin Biography – Information on the life and work of the French artist.
- Biography and Works – Brief look at the life of the artist and information on some of the more famous works.
- Gauguin Data – Biographical resource on the life and work of the famous artist.
Edgar Degas– Degas is best known for being a versatile artist. The French artist born in 1834 was known for his paintings, drawings and sculptures. He was well-known for his works showing various movements and one of his most famous paintings is “Dancing Class at the Opera”, which perfectly captures movement.
- Works of Degas – Complete works and information on the artistic works of the French artist.
- Degas Biography – Basic information on the life and works of art produced by Degas.
- Edgar Degas Information – Informative page on the work and life of the French artist.
Rembrandt Van Rijn– The famed Dutch artist is one of the most famous artists of all time. Born in 1606, Rembrandt has produced thousands of drawings, paintings and etchings. While some of his best work came in his painting portraits including one of his most famous ones “The Night Watch”.
- Life and Work of Rembrandt – Information on the career and artwork of the famed Dutch artist.
- Rembrandt Information – Useful biographical and career information on Rembrandt.
- Rembrandt Paintings – Helpful information on the paintings on the famed painter.
- Rembrandt Biography – Brief outline on the life of Rembrandt Van Rijn and his work.
- Rembrandt Information – Informative resource on the Dutch artist and his work.
Leonardo Da Vinci– The famous Italian was not only a painter but was also an architect, scientist, engineer and more. Born in 1452, da Vinci produced numerous works of art including “The Last Supper” and “The Mona Lisa”.
- Da Vinci Biography – Information on the life of the famed Renaissance Man.
- Paintings and Biography – Useful site with information on the artwork and other activities of the famous Italian.
- Leonardo Da Vinci Biography – Helpful page with information on the life of Da Vinci.
- Da Vinci Information – Resource outlining some of the major inventions and works of art that are attributed to Leonardo Da Vinci.
Claude Monet– Born in 1840, Monet became one of the first Impressionist painters. His travels became the inspiration for much of his work. Some of the better known works of art were “Water Lillies” and “The Cathedral of Rouen”.
- Monet Information – Informative page with information on the works and life of Monet.
- Works of Monet – Helpful information showing the complete works of Claude Monet.
- Monet Biography – Useful information covering the life of the famous artist.
Edouard Manet– French born Manet has been regarded as one of the first artists to feature modern subjects in his artwork. Born in 1832, Manet created thousands of works of art covering a variety of subjects. Some of his better known works include “Music in the Tuileries Garden” and “A Bar at the Folies Bergere”.
- Information on Manet – Information on the works and career of Edouard Manet.
- Works of Manet – Complete information covering the career artwork of Manet.
- Manet Information – Helpful site providing information on the life of the French artist.
- Life of Manet – Site providing a look at the artwork and life of Edouard Manet.
About the Author:
Clare Tames is a self-employed freelance graphic designer, formidable cook, and avid reader. She written on contemporary and classical art in various print publications, and is just now beginning a writing career online. She works out of her home office in California, where her two children attend high school. Expect more from her at ArtsHeaven.com and around the web, and, if you like, drop her a line at her Google+ page!
Top 20 Artists
- Vincent Van Gogh
- Claude Monet
- Gustav Klimt
- Leonardo Da Vinci
- Pierre-Auguste Renoir
- Jan Vermeer
- Rembrandt Van Rijn
- Wassily Kandinsky
- Edgar Degas
- Francisco De Goya
- William A. Bouguereau
- Camille Pissarro
- Albert Bierstadt
- Paul Gauguin
- Diego Velazquez
- Édouard Manet
- Jacques-Louis David
- J. M. W. Turner
- Paul Cézanne
- Jean-Leon Gerome
- Browse All Artist A to Z ...
Top 10 Museums
- Academic Art
- American Landscape
- Classicism - Classical
- Dutch Baroque
- High Renaissance
- Marine Art - Maritime
- Modern Art
- Portrait Painter
- Post Impressionism
- Browse All Styles ...