Home › Art Articles › Concepts & Analysis › The -Isms of Art: Exploring the Different Styles Used in Famous and Reproduction Art
The -Isms of Art: Exploring the Different Styles Used in Famous and Reproduction Art
There are many different movements that have contributed to the art world; Classicism, Romanticism, Impressionism, Modernism and Postmodernism are just a few. These styles of art have impacted western society and influenced artists in their own work. These major art movements and the artists they are associated with have changed the way we look at art by introducing new artistic concepts and ways to express one’s self through art.
Classicism refers to the art created, or inspired by, antiquity. Classicism dates back to ancient Greece and Rome when the emphasis on art and sculptures were based upon classic form, proportion and simplicity. Classicism was all about being objective and not subjective. When referring to Classicism, Neo-Classicism is often used interchangeably. Neo-Classicism began in the late 1700's to the early 1800's; Nicolas Poussin was a predominantly big figure during this time period. Artists today still adhere to the same training and form of that in the classic era. In today’s society art is dependent upon the classical styles of the past.
- Comparing Classical and Romantic Period Paintings – This article compares classical and romantic period paintings from the eighteenth century.
- The Complete Works of Nicolas Poussin – Discover the biography and complete works of Nicolas Poussin. Learn about his career, paintings and the legacy he left.
- The Art of Classical Greece – The art of classical Greece shows an in-depth look at Greek artists and the history of the classical era.
- Famous and Controversial Artist: Jacques- Louis David- Learn about the controversial artist Jacques-Louis David of the late eighteenth century and early nineteenth centuries. Explore his paintings, drawings and portraits while learning about his background and biography.
Romanticism refers to a time from the late eighteen century to the mid nineteenth century when artists expressed their points of view through their imagination in a more idyllic way, rather than an in a realistic form. Art created in this style ranges in subject matter and may include mythical scenes and historical events. Many romantic artists used nature and were fascinated by the mystical, mysterious and satanic. Emotions and artistic freedom ruled this time period. Romantic artists, such as Eugene Delacroix and JMW Turner helped to define romanticism. Eugene Delacroix was considered the artist that led the Romantic Movement.
- Romantic Characteristics in Art – The romantic characteristics in art highlight elements such as artist individuality, heroism, and the change in the style of artists.
- The Leader of the Romantic Movement: Eugene Delacroix – Learn about how Eugene Delacroix through his background and paintings. Discover ten of his paintings along with historical information.
- An Artistic Outlook of Romanticism – This article will give you important information and facts on Romantic artists during 1820-1900. Some artists highlighted are: JMW Turner, Thomas Cole and Eugene Delacroix.
- Samples of the Romantic Era of Art – This website highlights the paintings of Jacques Louis-David from 1748-1825.
Impressionism refers to an art form that is commonly associated with 19th century France. Impressionist paintings have a free and unfinished look to them. Claude Monet was a very influential figure during the Impressionistic era. He is said to be the founder of Impressionism and, was best known for his Water Lillie’s painting. The Impressionist artists, including Alfred Sisley, and Pierre-Auguste Renoir are most recognized for creating landscapes using vibrant colors and vague brush strokes. Another famous artist that was considered more of a post-impressionist was none other than Vincent Van Gogh. The Impressionistic movement was the widely successful and still used today.
- The Difference of Impressionism and Post Impressionism – Learn about the styles of the Impressionistic era and what they mean. See examples of the paintings of artists during this time as well as learn how to draw these kinds of styles.
- Introduction to the Artistic Style of Impressionism – The artistic style of Impressionism focuses on where Impressionism begins and gives you a background of what Impressionism is all about.
- Claude Monet: Founder of Impressionism – Learn everything you would like to know about Claude Monet. Find out about his early works, his youth and even where he took refuge.
- Alfred Sisley Biography and Works of Art – Alfred Sisley’s biography features historical information as well as insights to his works of art during the Impressionistic era.
Modernism is an artistic style that emerged in the mid-19th century. Famous modern artists specific to this style including, Edouard Manet and Henry Matatisse, were more likely to be inspired by their own visions verse using conventional art. Pablo Picasso was another influential artist during the Modern art movement. The interpretation of Modern art has greatly influenced the artists of today.
- The Roots of Modernism – The roots of Modernism takes a historical look at Modernism during the eighteen to nineteenth century. Learn about the art and its artists from this time period.
- Manet: Pioneer of Modern Art – Gain insight to the father of modern art, Edouard Manet. Learn about his past, his art work and, how his critics didn’t like his work.
- Biography of an American Modern Artist: Alfred Henry Maurer- Alfred Henry Maurer’s biography highlights an early American artist from 1868-1932.
- Pablo Picasso: An Influential Artist in Time – Discover Picasso’s life, style and links in this creative look of an influential artist.
- Modern Art Explained and Made Simple – Learn about professional modern artists and their work. Discover artists such as: Jasper John, Angel Turner Dyke and Romare Bearden.
Postmodern art emerged in the late 1960's when dominating traditional styles no longer fit with the post-war form and technique. Artists during this time period created their own style and meaning using a combination of elements from the past and applied them to modern techniques. Andy Warhol is a famous postmodern artist who believed in breaking down barriers and is best known for his “pop art” approach. Postmodernism has had a significant effect on Western society and how people, artists included, approach and interpret art.
- Art Gallery of the Postmodern Era - Enjoy a variety of postmodern artwork and learn about the background of each piece.
- Art & Artists: Modernism and Postmodernism - Explore the perception of art and history and, learn about postmodern artists of the 20th century.
- John Baldessari: The Definition of Postmodern Art - The definition of postmodern art describes John Baldessari’s works and biography.
- Andy Warhol: Postmodern American Artist - Find out everything you need to know about Andy Warhol in this in-depth biography and collection of work.
- Postmodernism: An Artistic Style - Here you will find information on the philosophy of postmodernism, the artistic style and the historical period.
All of these art movements have inspired and contributed to the way artists create their masterpieces. Some of the leading movements in art history have helped form the way we look at art and beauty today. These art movements, styles and artists are just a few among the hundreds that have impacted our society.
About the Author:
Clare Tames is a self-employed freelance graphic designer, formidable cook, and avid reader. She written on contemporary and classical art in various print publications, and is just now beginning a writing career online. She works out of her home office in California, where her two children attend high school. Expect more from her at ArtsHeaven.com and around the web, and, if you like, drop her a line at her Google+ page!
|Oil Painting Reproductions|
- 10 Most Famous Artists Specialize in Nature Paintings
- Abstract Wall Art For Your Home Decor
- Add Vintage Style to Give Your Home a Unique Look
- An Introduction On Various Oil Painting Techniques
- Art Concepts: A Guide to Color Theory
- Art Education References for Teachers
- Art For Kids: Elements, Principles and Other Concepts
- Art History: A Resource Guide
- Art of the Renaissance
- Buying Art Guides - Finding Reputable Online Art Gallery
- Claude Monet Impression Sunrise Painting, A Masterpiece of Our Time
- Contemporary Abstract Paintings for Modern Spaces
- Deceiving Art: A Guide to Stereograms
- Difference Between Oil Paintings vs. Acrylic Paintings
- Famous Classic Paintings of Women
- Famous Japanese Paintings And Prints
- Fine Paintings from Art Reproduction Services Almost as Good as the Originals
- Fun Arts and Crafts for Kids
- How To Clean An Oil Painting
- Italian Architecture
- Kid's Guide to Art
- Modern Wall Art Design Ideas
- Paint Brush Resource Guide for Artists
- Painting Masters: Great Artists in History
- Painting Your Dreams: Oil Your Creative Gears
- Paper Art Reproductions: Learn Origami!
- Resource Guide to Painting
- Some Famous Paintings of Jesus Christ
- The -Isms of Art: Exploring the Difference Styles
- The Art of Glass Blowing
- Tips For Photographing Your Art
- Types of Art: Ceramics and Pottery
- What Is Giclee Art Reproduction? Process Explained
- Why Buy Reproduction Paintings on Canvas?